Shaun Hill and J.T. O'Sullivan shared the first-team repetitions in practice this morning. As far as who will open Friday's game in Oakland - well, Mike Nolan isn't saying. "I have not spoken to the quarterbacks yet," Nolan said. He said that meeting could occur this afternoon and that he might share that information following the afternoon session. Early in training camp, Nolan said the preseason games might see his quarterbacks alternating snaps with every series. He would not comment on that possibility today. Overall, Nolan said that the first-team units would play the first quarter or 12-15 plays, whichever came first.
Friday's Raiders-49ers game has been blacked out and will be shown on tape delay in the Bay Area. In Sacramento, however, KOVR assures me the game will be aired at its regular time, 7 p.m. Still checking with KQCA....
Here's how the quarterbacks performed in the two "team" sessions today:
- Hill (first-team): Downfield pass incomplete. Nearest 49er is safety Michael Lewis. Nolan not happy with the energy level. "You guys had a day off yesterday," he calls out.
- Hill (1st) Rolls right, fires 18-yard sideline pass to Josh Morgan.
- Hill (1st) Fake end-around to Arnaz Battle, fires pass to Battle.
- Hill (1st) Delayed screen to Frank Gore.
- Hill (1st) Quick dump to Gore with Dashon Goldson blitzing.
- Smith (second team) Roll right, quick crossing pattern to Jason Hill.
- Smith (2nd) Left sideline completion to Cam Colvin, but Colvin lands out of bounds.
- Smith (2nd) Fake handoff, rolls right. Nothing deep, so he hits Billy Bajema with short pass.
- Smith (2nd) Shovel pass to Thomas Clayton
- J.T. O'Sullivan (first team) 20-yard pass downfield to Arnaz Battle.
- JTO (1st) fake handoff right, throws back left to Gore.
- JTO (1st) Handoff to Gore
- JTO (1st) Shovel pass to Gore
- Smith (2nd) Quick throw right to Jason Hill
- Smith (2nd) Shovel pass to Clayton.
- Smith (2nd) End around to Jason Hill
- Smith (2nd) Quick dump to Zak Keasey.
Second "team" session, which was a red-zone session in which the ball began on the 19-yard line.
- Hill (1st team) Short pass (right) to Keasey
- Hill (1st team) Hot read to Isaac Bruce falls incomplete. QB-WR not on same page.
- Hill (1st team) Pass to Battle nearly picked off by Patrick Willis.
- Hill (1st team) At the 4-yard line, handoff to Gore.
- Smith (2nd team) Wide open to Bill Bajema who jogs in for a touchdown. Secondary coach Johnnie Lynn talks with rookie safety D.J. Parker after the play.
- Smith (2nd) DeShaun Foster, run right
- Smith (2nd) Clayton, run right
- Smith (2nd) At the 4-yard line, Foster up the middle.
- JTO (first team) End around to Bruce.
- JTO (1st) Quick pass to Morgan
- JTO (1st) Dump off to Gore
- JTO (1st) At the 4-yard line, handoff to Gore.
- Hill (2nd team) Swing pass to Clayton
- Hill (2nd) Short pass to Colvin
- Hill (2nd) Pump fake, handoff to Foster
- Hill (2nd) Swing pass to Foster
- JTO (first team) Blitz. Quick pass to Battle.
- JTO (1st) Pass nearly picked off by Michael Lewis
- JTO (1st) Throw to Vernon Davis in the end zone too high. Would have been a sack by Donald Strickland.
- JTO (1st) Delayed screen to Davis; play snuffed out by Justin Smith
- Smith (2nd) Quick pass to Ortiz. Smith would have been sacked.
- Smith (2nd) Out pattern to Jerard Rabb.
- Smith (2nd) Pass to corner of end zone incomplete.
- Smith (2nd) hand off to Foster.
-- Matt Barrows