The 49ers have high hopes for a quarterback who was picked first in the draft and whose career has been on ice for the last year and a half. But his last name is Smith, not Vick. A couple of reports yesterday looked at the some of the 49ers' recent moves - interviewing Hue Jackson and Dan Reeves, signing Jimmy Williams - and connected the dots to Michael Vick, the former Falcons quarterback currently behind bars for dog fighting. What the reports didn't look at was:
- The 49ers' first choice for offensive coordinator was Scott Linehan, who has no ties to Vick.
- Good character has been a top criterion for the 49ers in recent years. Guys who run dog-fighting operations from their homes don't exactly fit that description.
- Mike Singletary doesn't suffer fools. "Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners!"
- The 49ers don't think their quarterback situation is as dreary as everyone else does.
- Any team that signs Vick will experience some backlash from fans and from the community. But the hue and cry in San Francisco would be deafening.
- It would be asinine to hire an offensive coordinator based on the possibility that he could help you land a quarterback who hasn't thrown a pass since 2006, is currently incarcerated and who may or may not be suspended for the rest of his life.
- And one more thing - the 49ers say they have no intention of pursuing Vick.
All's quiet on the coordinator front today. Jackson and Reeves interviewed for the position yesterday. There were no more interviews today. As far as I can tell, Reeves has not left town. Maybe he stuck around to enjoy the sights in Santa Clara. (Wait, I'm being told there's nothing to see in Santa Clara). ... Stay tuned. ***Update*** I was wrong. Looks like Reeves is no longer in town.
-- Matt Barrows