For the second straight practice, there was lots of yelling from 49ers coaches. This time, however, it was directed at the defense. The offense, which drew the wrath of Mike Singletary, seemed to have the defense's number today. "They're whipping our butts," one assistant said.
The offense ran the two-minute drill today. Alex Smith got to direct the first-team offense; Shaun Hill ran the second. With several injuries at receiver, Smith's wideouts were Josh Morgan "Z" and Dominique Zeigler "X" while Michael Spurlock played the slot. The first-team offense was pitted against the first-team defense. The cornerbacks were Dre' Bly and Allen Rossum. Tarell Brown was the slot cornerback. Here's how Smith's drive went:
- 1st & 10, own 30. Nice downfield pass from Smith to Spurlock just over the outstretched arm of cornerback Brown.
- 1st & 10, opponent's 29. Smith's pass is knocked down at the line of scrimmage by right defensive end Justin Smith.
- 2nd & 10. Quick pass from Smith to Dominique Zeigler; gain of four to the 25 yard line
- 3rd and 6. Smith's pass in the back of the end zone to Spurlock is over Spurlock's head.
- 4th and 6. Quick pass to Frank Gore, but Gore is tagged by cornerback Dre' Bly after a minimal gain.
When it was Shaun Hill's turn to direct the second team, his wideouts were Brandon Jones "Z", Maurice Price "X" and Zeigler (slot). Hill was going against the second-team defense.
- 1st & 10, own 30. Quick pass to Price for 11 yards.
- 1st and 10, own 41. False start on OLB Ahmad Brooks.
- 1st & 5, own 46. Quick pass over the middle to tight end J.J. Finley. Gain of 10.
- 1st & 10, opponent's 44. Incomplete down the right sideline. Cornerback Carlos Thomas had good coverage on Jones.
- 2nd & 10 from 44. Nice catch by Jones, who went down low for a short completion.
- 3rd & 5 from the 39. Quick pass from Hill to running back Glen Coffee for five yards.
- 1st & 10 from the 34. Nice crossing pattern to Brandon Jones at the 16 yard line.
- 1st & 10 from the 16. Hill finds Zeigler wide open at the 6-yard line.
- 1st & goal. Hill spikes the ball to stop the clock.
- 2nd & goal. Hill fires a quick pass to Zeigler in the back of the end zone. Touchdown.
Smith got another opportunity to run the 2-minute drill, this time with the goal of setting up a last -second field goal.
- 1st & 10, own 30. Attempted pass to Morgan is broken up - and nearly picked off - by strong safety Lewis Baker.
- 2nd & 10. Quick pass to Maurice Price who is tagged down at the 36.
- 3rd & 4. Smith's pass goes out of bounds. Spurlock turned in on his route; Smith expected him to turn out.
- 4th & 4. Smith to Vernon Davis over the middle. Davis is wide open on the play and is tagged down at the opponent's 40 for a 24-yard gain.
- 1st & 10, 40. Another over-the-middle pass to Davis; this one goes off his fingertips.
- 2nd & 10. Pass to Gore gains five yards.
- 3rd & 5, 25. Smith connects with Davis to the 24.
- 1st & 10, 24. Smith spikes the ball to set up Joe Nedney's "game-winning" 42-yard field goal.
I published on Twitter earlier today that Takeo Spikes was observing practice today, something his veteran status affords him from time to time. Also not practicing was fellow inside linebacker Jeff Ulbrich, who is out sick. Both Justin Roland and Mark Washington filled in at "ted" linebacker with the first-team defense. Rookie Scott McKillop was the second-team "ted."
According to a team spokesman, Nate Clements is out of bed and doing day-to-day activities after being knocked down with a bout of pneumonia last week. However, he is not expected to take part in any of the remaining OTA practices this month. ...With Reggie Smith (groin) and Mark Roman (illness) still out, Lewis Baker was the de facto starter at strong safety.
A lot of people have asked about Marvel Smith. The big right tackle has been taking part in all of the offensive linemen drills. However, the team doesn't want to overburden Smith's surgically repaired back, and he has given way to Adam Snyder in team drills. Smith is expected to participate in all the drills in training camp. ... Right guard Chilo Rachal is having a baby (well, he's not having the baby) and has missed the last few practices. Tony Wragge filled in today, but second-year player Cody Wallace also has seen some time at guard.
Left defensive end and back-up nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga went down with a left quad injury today. The injury did not seem too serious, but Sopoaga sat out the rest of practice. Both Kentwan Balmer and rookie Ricky Jean-Francois filled in at the position.
Left defensive end and back-up nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga went down with a quad injury today. The injury did not seem too serious, but Sopoaga sat out the rest of practice. Both Kentwan Balmer and rookie Rick jean-Francois filled in at the position.
Finally, 49ers players will have an opportunity to get their grub on after tomorrow's practice. Local restaurants that are backing the new stadium proposal have come out with a list of creatively named menu items they want the players to test. The entrees include: Taquito Spikes, Frank Gordita, Baby-Zak ribs and Striped Baas
Think you can out-clever these submissions? Then log onto DinersforNiners.com and submit your idea. Remember, the "Frank & Beans" special already has been submitted. And for dessert? How 'bout a bowl of Wragge Road ice cream?
-- Matt Barrows