Soon-to-be free agent Walt Harris wants to come back for at least one more NFL season. Moreover, he's ready to come back, said his agent, Patrick Capra. "Retirement hasn't been a consideration with Walt," Capra said this week. "He's the exception to the rule as far as defying the laws of aging."
At this time last year, Harris and Nate Clements were the 49ers' starting cornerbacks. Harris, however, suffered a torn right ACL when he became tangled with receiver Dominique Zeigler during a May 19 practice. Shortly thereafter the team signed Dre Bly to replace him on the active roster.
Like Harris, Bly is an unrestricted free agent, and the 49ers aren't expected to try hard to retain him. Marcus Hudson, a restricted free agent, also will be allowed the test the market. Therefore, the only cornerbacks on the roster tomorrow at 9:01 p.m. will be Tarell Brown, Clements, Keith Smith and Shawntae Spencer. The 49ers are not expected to release Clements, who is due to make $6 million in base salary, nor are they expected to have him restructure his contract.
The team will consider resigning Harris, but it will take a wait-and-see approach. Players recovering from an ACL tear typically don't return to full strength for more than a year. Harris also will be 36 before the 2010 season begins and will be three years removed from his 2006 Pro Bowl season.
Still, Capra said that Harris was nearly 100 percent and will be able to fully take part in minicamps and OTAs this spring. "He's feeling good," Capra said. "He's ready to roll. He's ahead of the curve right now, almost 100 percent." He said Harris would like to return to the 49ers but also is prepared to explore other options.
The UFL will have a team in Sacramento this year, and the league is holding a "name your team" competition. I'm holding my own competition on Twitter. So far the best suggestion is "Sacramento Cow Tippers." In other words, there's room for more ideas. You can find me on Twitter at @mattbarrows.
-- Matt Barrows