Which team has the best playing field in the NFL? According to a poll of 1619 players, grass is better - and safer - than artificial surfaces and the Arizona Cardinals have the best grass field in the league. Candlestick Park's surface? Meh - players neither love nor hate it. It ranked 12th out of 18 grass fields. The grass/dirt at Oakland Coliseum was voted second-worst among grass fields behind Pittsburgh's Heinz Field.
The survey is taken every two years and breaks the vote down by teams. Forty five 49ers players took part in the survey. Among the findings:
• The 49ers players liked their field the best, followed by the home fields for the Cardinals, Panthers and Chargers. Candlestick Park also received relatively high marks from the Vikings, Lions and Rams players.
• The 49ers overwhelmingly voted the Raiders the worst grass field. The Bears', Packers' and Chiefs' fields also received low marks from the 49ers.
• Among the artificial fields, the 49ers gave the highest marks to the Colts followed by the Falcons and Seahawks.
• Asked which surface they prefer, 32 49ers players voted for grass, seven said they like artificial surfaces and five had no preference.
• The turf at Cowboys stadium, which *appeared* to be a factor in some of the injuries last night, was rated the fifth-best among artificial surfaces behind the Colts, the Jets/Giants, the Saints and the Seahawks.
The worst artificial fields belong to the Vikings and Bills. For the full survey, click here.
-- Matt Barrows