49ers Blog and Q&A

News, notes and reader questions about the San Francisco 49ers

April 18, 2012
Cal's Marvin Jones, others won't be at 49ers' "local" combine

marvin.jpg

The 49ers will hold their annual "local" pro day today at which players from Bay Area colleges and universities as well as those who are from the Bay Area will work out for Jim Harbaugh and his staff. A list of attendees is forthcoming, but the biggest names from the San Francisco Bay, such Stanford's Andrew Luck, David DeCastro and Coby Fleener, are not expected to work out.

Cal wideout Marvin Jones and Cal inside linebacker Mychal Kendricks will not attend, either. This week is the final week for players to visit with teams, and both Jones and Kendricks have visits lined up today, their agent said. Stanford wideout Chris Owusu, however, is expected to take part, the San Francisco Chronicle reported last week.

****************************
Sacramento's Armond Armstead has two more visits this week - to Miami and Cleveland. The 6-5, 295-pound defensive lineman, who played at USC, also has worked out for the Raiders and Patriots.

Last spring, Armstead was briefly hospitalized after experiencing chest pains. He was cleared by doctors to resume football action, but USC would not allow Armstead to play this past season, and he decided to declare for the draft. Read more about Armstead here.

Armstead was a two-year starter at USC, totaling 59 tackles and two sacks in 17 career starts. Earlier this month, he worked out for scouts at Sacramento State. He had a 30-inch vertical leap, broad jumped nearly ten-feet and ran a 5.05-second 40-yard dash

****************************
Pheee-eeew! Patrick Willis will not feel the wrath of the Madden curse after all. Willis fell to Carolina quarterback Cam Newton in voting to determine the video game's newest cover boy. But it was close. Newton got 53 percent of the 465,000 votes; Willis took the remaining 47 percent.

No word on how many of Newton's votes were from Northern California.

-- Matt Barrows



MATTHEW BARROWS

Matt was born in Blacksburg, Va., and attended the University of Virginia. He graduated in 1995, went to Northwestern for a journalism degree a year later, and got his first job at a South Carolina daily in 1997. He joined The Bee as a Metro reporter in 1999 and started covering the 49ers in 2003. His favorite player of all time is Darrell Green.

Categories


November 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Monthly Archives


Ask a question

Please use the form below to submit your question. Because there is a 100-word limit for questions, a word counter is located directly beneath the box where you enter the your question.

Name:
City:
 State:
E-mail:

49ers Question:

Your letter contains of 100 words allowed.  Count words


Your IP Address has been recorded as 152.52.255.247 and will be included with this submission.