With a win over the Patriots on Sunday, the 49ers will wrap up at least a Wild Card spot for the playoffs. A win combined with a Seattle loss means they will win the NFC West for the second straight season.
Of course, a victory is no easy task as anyone who saw last night's Patriots-Texans game can attest. Tom Brady and Co. have won seven straight and have gone over 40 points in four of those wins. The Seahawks, meanwhile, are playing the Bills, who have lost five of their last seven. The Seahawks' trip to
Buffalo Toronto - 2,117 2,057 air miles - is long, but not nearly as long as the trip from San Jose to Providence, RI (2,657 air miles).
One thing going for the 49ers: They have been very good on the east coast under Jim Harbaugh. They've only lost one game in five contests in the eastern time zone - to John Harbaugh's Ravens last Thanksgiving. One more thing: the distinct WWL(t) pattern this season has the 49ers landing a W on Sunday ...
Other ways San Francisco can claim at least a spot in the postseason:
1) SF tie + DAL loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + MIN loss or tieÂ OR
2) SF tie + DAL loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + GB-CHI does not end in tieÂ OR
3) SF tie + DAL loss or tie + MIN loss or tie + CHI lossÂ OR
4) SF tie + NYG loss + MIN loss or tie + CHI lossÂ OR
5) MIN loss + DAL loss + WAS loss + SEA loss or tie
- Matt Barrows