Fuming that Colin Kaepernick has killed your fantasy team the last two weeks? Go ahead and send him an angry Tweet. The 49ers quarterback today says he uses them as motivation. "It's something that I do for me," Kaepernick said. "It helps me."
Evidence that Kaepernick keeps a close eye on his Twitter feed: He's recently been "favoriting" the most insulting, most critical - and most misspelled; this is Twitter, after all - messages addressed to him. In fact, Kaepernick highlighted seven more in the last hour (2:25 p.m.). He seems to especially like/loathe messages that include references to former 49ers quarterback, Alex Smith.
* 12b ?@GAJICMAGIC: I've always said alex smith was better then you
* Michael Yohannes ?@mikeyohannes95: one year wonder, the truth hurts bro..
* Trevor MacArthur ?@ItsBigRedd: Kaepernick is a joke. His style doesn't win, he is the ronnie brown of 2008 with the wildcat.
* Connor Kerrigan ?@ConnorKerrigan: is absolute garbage #StartColtMcCoy
* Ivan Rangel @iVanR1288: We Want Alex smith back!!"
After passing for a career-high 412 yards in Week 1 - the 49ers' first 400-yard game in nine seasons - Kaepernick has suffered through his two lousiest outings since entering the league. He's completed fewer than half of his pass attempts in those games, has thrown four interceptions to zero touchdowns and has lost two fumbles.
Counter intuitively, Kaepernick said he has no reaction to recent media criticism because he tunes it out. "I'm working," he said. "It's not something I listen to."
After all, today's athletes get their criticism from non-traditional sources.
-- Matt Barrows