Eddie DeBartolo, Jr. and Charles Haley will get another shot at making the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Roger Craig will not.
DeBartolo, the former 49ers owner who won five Super Bowl titles, and Haley, the former 49ers and Cowboys defensive end who won five Super Bowl titles of his own, were among the list of 15 modern-era finalists announced this evening. The Hall's selection committee will meet on Feb. 1 to decide this year's class. Craig, the 49ers' running back who became the first player in NFL history to run for 1,000 yards and finish with 1,000 receiving yards in the same season, was a semifinalist but did not make the pared-down list.
Haley has now been on the ballot 10 times. He was a fourth-round pick by the 49ers in 1986, and he is the only player in NFL history to have played on five winning Super Bowl teams. Haley twice was named NFC Defensive Player of the Year (1990, 1994) and was voted to five Pro Bowls over his career.
DeBartolo owned the 49ers from 1977-2000. In that span, his teams made it to the playoffs 16 times, won 13 division titles, played in 10 championship games and became the first to win five Super Bowls. During that time, DeBartolo set a standard in the modern era, not just in the NFL but in all of professional sports, in the spare-no-expenses way he ran his club.
This is the third year DeBartolo has been in the running for the Hall. Prior to the 49ers game in Tampa Bay, he said he expected Haley to make the final cut this year and that Haley has asked him to induct him in August.
Hall of Fame finalists
· Morten Andersen, Kicker - 1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings
· Jerome Bettis, Running Back - 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
· Derrick Brooks, Linebacker - 1995-2008 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
· Tim Brown, Wide Receiver/Kick Returner/Punt Returner - 1988-2003 Los Angeles/ Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
· Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner - 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
· Tony Dungy, Coach - 1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2002-08 Indianapolis Colts
· Kevin Greene, Linebacker/Defensive End - 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
· *Ray Guy, Punter - 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
· Charles Haley, Defensive End/Linebacker - 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
· Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver - 1996-2008 Indianapolis Colts
· *Claude Humphrey, Defensive End - 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979-1981 Philadelphia Eagles
· Walter Jones, Tackle - 1997-2008 Seattle Seahawks
· John Lynch, Free Safety - 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
· Andre Reed, Wide Receiver - 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
· Will Shields, Guard - 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
· Michael Strahan, Defensive End - 1993-2007 New York Giants
· Aeneas Williams, Cornerback/Safety - 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams
-- Matt Barrows