In his first public appearance since the FBI searched two of his offices last week, Sen. Ron Calderon, D-Montebello, confirmed on Monday that he has retained counsel but declined to offer any details about the nature of the investigation.
Calderon asked that any inquiries be referred to his attorney, Mark Geragos, saying "I have a lot of my own questions." He said he remains committed to his work in the Legislature.
"My intention at this point is to do my job I was elected to do, attend my hearings, get my bills passed out of committee to the floor and do the work of the state," Calderon said.
The U.S. attorney's office has also been silent about the reason for the searches.
In a hint of the potential scope of the probe, Sen. Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, said on Friday that he had received a subpoena and would appear before a grand jury in July.
Aides to De León said they believed the subpoena was linked to the Calderon searches but that De León is not a target of an investigation.
Another Los Angeles-area lawmaker, Sen. Ted Lieu, D-Torrance, declined to comment on whether he had received a subpoena when asked by The Bee on Monday morning.
PHOTO:Sen. Ron Calderon, D- Montebello, speaks at a news conference at the Capitol in Sacramento on Monday. The Sacramento Bee/Manny Crisostomo