Earlier this month, the City Council did a U-turn on the "crash tax" and voted to bring the controversial ordinance back for its eventual repeal.
When the council made that motion, I was told the crash tax would come back in one or two weeks. That was three weeks ago and the ordinance isn't on the agenda for Tuesday night's meeting either.
This means, of course, that the crash tax - known by its supporters as the fire cost recovery program - is on the books in Sacramento. Under the ordinance, out-of-town drivers would be charged if they cause a wreck in the city requiring a response from the fire department.
But not to worry, crash tax haters. The council never decided on a firm to collect the fees, so no one's getting charged.
Still, I've been wondering when the fee program will officially be erased. I spoke with Mark Prestwich, a special projects manager at City Hall, last week. He said the crash tax is scheduled to come back to the council on March 29.
Prestwich said city staffers and lawyers in the city attorney's office have been extra diligent in getting ready to bring the crash tax ordinance back to the council.
"We didn't want to rush anything," he said.