Once again, a seat on the City Council is a hot ticket.
A packed field of 17 candidates has filed to run for council in the June primary. Another four candidates are running for mayor.
It was a similar story in 2010, when 16 candidates ran for council. That election marked a shift to more competition in local politics. As recently as 2008, the four council members who sought re-election ran unopposed.
Not surprisingly, the two seats where the incumbents are not running for re-election have attracted the most attention.
District 2, where Sandy Sheedy is stepping down, has six candidates. District 4, Rob Fong's seat, has seven candidates.
The candidates are as follows. Titles next to the candidates' names are what will appear on the June ballot:
- Jonathan Michael Rewers, Municipal Finance Manager
- Richard L. Jones, Insurance Broker
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor, City of Sacramento
- J. Leonard Padilla, Bounty Hunter
DISTRICT 2 (North Sacramento)
- Allen Wayne Warren, Community Business Owner
- Rob Kerth, SMUD Director
- Jason L. Sample, Pastor/School Administrator
- Kim Mack, Field Director
- Sondra Betancourt, Retired Personnel Manager
- Misty Yaj, Auditor
DISTRICT 4 (Land Park, downtown, midtown)
- Phyllis A. Newton, Nonprofit Director/Attorney
- Neil Davidson, Information Technology Analyst
- David A. Turturici, Attorney
- Michael Daniel Rehm, Attorney/Business Owner
- Terry Schanz, Public Policy Director
- Steve Hansen, Biotechnology Senior Manager
- Joseph Yee, Architect/Business Owner
DISTRICT 6 (Elmhurst, Tahoe Park)
- Mitch Netto, Information Technology Manager
- Kevin McCarty, Councilmember
DISTRICT 8 (Meadowview)
- Betty Williams, Employment Recruitment Director
- Bonnie Pannell, Sacramento City Council Member