From Nicole Williams:
A Sacramento man suffered second-degree burns on half of his body after an explosion erupted when he attempted to light a marijuana pipe in his bathroom earlier today, fire officials said.
The man, who is in his earlier 30s and a medical marijuana patient, had mixed butane with his pot and the chemical is likely the cause of the explosion, which knocked the bathroom wall off its foundation, said Jim Doucette, spokesman for the Sacramento Fire Department.
"It's not for sure that's what happened ... but whatever he was doing went wrong," Doucette said.
A second-level hazmat alarm was called because the Fire Department was initially unaware of the source of the blast, he said.
No one else was in the house at the time of the explosion, and the man was transported to a nearby hospital but is expected to recover, Doucette said.