The steps of three mobile homes in Citrus Heights were set on fire by a suspected arsonist early this morning, authorities said.
After responding to a gas leak at a nearby apartment complex that was reported about 3 a.m., witnesses smelled smoke, and the fire department went to investigate its origin on Antelope Road near Auburn Boulevard.
When Sacramento Metro Fire personnel arrived at about 4:50 a.m., police were putting out the flames with fire extinguishers from their vehicles. Sacramento Metro Fire put out the fire and gathered debris samples to be tested for investigative leads, said Metro Fire Assistant Chief Scott Cockrum.
"There's no other way that this could have happened," said Cockrum.
The mobile homes were unoccupied, and Cockrum said there was about $5,000 worth of damage.