Sacto 9-1-1
August 29, 2011
Effort launched to repeal California's death penalty

JV_DEATHPENALTY 154.JPGBy Sam Stanton
sstanton@sacbee.com

Opponents of the state's death penalty announced a new effort Monday aimed at getting an initiative before voters next year that would abolish the death penalty and replace it with life without parole.

The effort uses the enormous costs of California's death penalty as a sales point with voters, and organizers said this morning that roughly $4 billion has been spent since 1978 to execute only 13 inmates.

Jeanne Woodford, a former San Quentin warden who presided over four executions, was the main speaker at a news conference outside the state Attorney General's office in Sacramento and was joined by lawyers, crime victims and others to declare that the time is now to do away with executions.

"I vividly recall my staff asking, 'Did we make the world safer tonight?'" Woodford said of the nights that executions were conducted with her in charge. "We all know the answer was no."

The initiative paperwork was filed with the Attorney General's office Friday after a bid to repeal the death penalty in the Legislature went nowhere last week.

Organizers say they need more than 500,000 valid signatures to get the matter on the November 2012 ballot and that qualifying the initiative will cost up to $1.5 million.

Photo caption: Lorrain Taylor's twin sons Albade and Obadiah were 22-years-old when they gunned down in Oakland in 2000, the killer is still at large. At right, Ronnie Sandoval's son, Arthur Carmona, was 16-years-old when he was sent to prison for a crime he did not commit. In 2000 he was exonerated, released, then killed eight years later. Both women were speakers at a news conference on Monday announcing a new effort aimed at getting an initiative before voters that would abolish the death penalty. Photo by Jose Luis Villegas

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

December 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories