Sacto 9-1-1
August 23, 2011
Placer DA plans no action against sheriff's sergeant in shooting

The Placer County District Attorney's Office has concluded that an off-duty sheriff's deputy did not commit a crime when he intercepted and shot a man who was being chased by Rocklin police.

The District Attorney's Office announced today that it has completed its review of the May 29 shooting of Sergey Pautov, 22 of Rancho Cordova, by Placer County Sheriff's Sgt. Vaness Bogardus. The review was based on information provided in Rocklin and Roseville police department reports, as well as an analysis of California law, according to a District Attorney's Office news release.

These materials established that officers, including Sgt. Bogardus, were advised that Pautov was a suspect who was wanted for a recent burglary and auto theft. Sgt. Bogardus and other officers were also aware that Pautov had been evading capture while driving a stolen vehicle in a reckless manner that endangered the public, including twice driving on the wrong side of the road, officials said. Pautov eventually abandoned the vehicle and began to run away.

Bogardus saw Pautov, pointed his duty weapon at the man and yelled, "Sheriff's Department, get on the ground!" according to the new release.

Pautov looked at Bogardus and continued to run toward a wall, officials said, and Bogardus repeated the announcement. Pautov was ordered four more times to get on the ground, but refused, officials said.

Pautov jumped onto the wall and was about to lower himself into the rear yard of a private residence. Fearing for the safety of people that might be in the home, Sgt. Bogardus fired three rounds, hitting Pautov twice in the left buttocks and once in the right hip, according to the news release.

Pautov was taken into custody and medical units were requested.

Based on the reports and materials submitted, the DA's Office announced that it plans to take no action against Sgt. Bogardus.

Pautov is charged with evading a peace officer, evading a peace officer and driving in the opposite traffic lane, unlawful taking or driving of a vehicle, second-degree burglary, receiving stolen property and driving on a suspended license for a prior DUI. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

His next court appearance is scheduled for Sept. 9.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

Arrest Logs

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories