Sacramento Metro firefighters were busy this morning putting out a garage fire and a blaze at an apartment complex.
The garage fire broke in the 5200 block of Mississippi Bar Road in Orangevale at about 1:30 a.m. When firefighters arrived on scene, flames were visible from the garage.
About two dozen firefighters attacked the blaze, restricting the fire to the garage. An estimated $60,000 worth of structural damage was sustained.
Firefighters believe it is likely that improperly discarded rags containing linseed oil might have caused the fire.
At about 5:15 a.m., firefighters were called to an apartment complex in the 1600 block Bell Street in Arden Arcade where two apartments suffered damage. An initial investigation has revealed that the fire started outside a downstairs unit.
The fire caused significant damage to the interior of the downstairs, said Assistant Chief Scott Cockrum. The fire spread to the balcony of the upstairs apartment.
The fire caused major damage to the balcony and moderate damage to the interior of the second story apartment, Cockrum said. About 30 firefighters responded to put out the fire.
A resident of the upstairs apartment was placed under arrest on suspicion of interfering with fire investigators, Cockrum said.