A fire believed to have been started by a cigarette discarded outside a residence, caused significant damage to a Rancho Cordova home this evening.
Assistant Chief Scott Cockrum of the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District, said firefighters were called about 6 p.m. to a house in the 2200 block of Green Blossom Court. They arrived to find the attic of the home well involved with fire.
Although firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire, the attic area suffered significant damage.
No one was injured, and firefighters were able to locate several cats and remove them unharmed, according to a fire district news release.
Two adults were at the home when the fire started and reported that they had smelled an odor of something burning throughout the day.
Cockrum said fire investigators believe the fire resulted from an inappropriately discarded cigarette that likely smoldered during the day, then ignited, with flames spreading to the exterior siding of the house and then to the attic.
Fire damage was estimated at $50,000.