The Sacramento District Attorney's Office dismissed murder charges today against one of two defendants in the Feb. 8, 2010, sex killing of a 17-year-old girl in Van Maren Park in Citrus Heights.
Tyler Espinoza, now 19, had been accused along with co-defendant Anton Adolf Johnson, 20, in the beating death of Rebecca Renee Layson. Johnson still faces charges in the case. His preliminary hearing is scheduled to continue Tuesday in Sacramento Superior Court.
A D.A.'s press release said Espinoza, who was Layson's boyfriend, had initially made "several incriminating statements" when he spoke with investigators. Authorities later confirmed he was "highly intoxicated" the night of the killing, had blacked out and "just started filling in the facts and lying to detectives," the press release said.