Sacto 9-1-1
November 10, 2011
Update: Natomas teen reclassified as runaway after seen in Yuba City

Sergio Jimenez.jpgSacramento police officials announced that they have reclassified a missing 17-year-old Natomas youth as a runaway after a family member encountered him in a Yuba City Walmart store Wednesday.

Sergio Jimenez (pictured) was reported missing by family members Nov. 2, after he failed to return home from Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep High School, where he is a senior. Since then, hundreds of volunteers along with officers and detectives from the Sacramento Police Department have searched the area around the school, including a nearby canal.

On Wednesday, a family member saw Jimenez in a Walmart store in Yuba City and had a brief conversation with the youth about why he was in the community, according to a Sacramento Police Department news release. Jimenez said he was visiting, then walked away. The family member was in a powered wheelchair and was unable to follow the teenager.

Jimenez's aunt in Sacramento was immediately notified and called police. Officers retrieved the video footage from Walmart for review. Jimenez's aunt was shown the footage and identified the youth as her nephew.

Officers and detectives searched the Yuba City area, specifically the shopping center where Jimenez was last seen. Police said numerous employees at local businesses were shown photos of the teenager and several recognized him, saying he had been in and out of their stores for the past several days.

Police said Jimenez is believed to be in good health, and there is no evidence that he is under duress. Sacramento authorities said they are working with Yuba City police, who will continue to search the area in hopes of contacting Jimenez.

Anyone with information about the investigation is asked to call Crime Alert at (916) 443-4357 or text a tip to 274637. Enter SACTIP followed by the tip information. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories