Sacto 9-1-1
February 24, 2012
Man sentenced to 34 years in prison for child sexual assault

A man with prior convictions relating to sex abuse crimes was sentenced today to 34 years in prison for child sexual assault.

A Sacramento County Superior Court jury last month convicted Phil Douglas Reese, 47, of five counts of child sexual assault, including the allegation that he used force and duress to commit the crimes, according to a Sacramento County District Attorney's Office news release. He was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Timothy Frawley.

Authorities said Reese was considered a good friend of the victim's family. The molestation began in 2002-03, when the girl was in first grade, and continued through her seventh-grade year.

About the time he began to molest the victim, Reese was arrested and convicted during an online sexual predator sting conducted by the Sacramento Valley Hi-Tech Crimes Task Force operating out of Turlock. This sting operation was part of a larger Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force designed to help law enforcement agencies combat Internet crimes such as child enticement and child pornography.

Reese contacted an online undercover detective who had assumed the role of a 13-year-old girl and quickly engaged the decoy in sexual discussions, officials said. Reese was arrested when he arrived at a prearranged location to engage in sexual intercourse with the child.

Reese has two other felony convictions involving or relating to child sexual crimes, according to the news release. In 2008, he was convicted for failing to register as a sex offender in Riverside County. In 2010, he was convicted for possessing child pornography in Yolo County.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories