An early morning fire at a vacant Rancho Cordova motel was probably caused by a homeless person, according to investigators.
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District firefighters responded to the motel at 10271 Folsom Boulevard about 5:30 a.m. When firefighters arrived, four rooms were burning.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze at the motel, the scene of other fires since the First Value Inn closed nearly two years ago.
Arson investigators determined the fire began in a downstairs room on the back side of the complex. A squatter staying in the room likely caused the fire, according to a fire district press release.