Sacto 9-1-1
April 18, 2012
Sacramento police: Man stabbed after gang-related fight at Downtown Plaza

A man was stabbed and another beaten during two gang-related brawls near the food court at Downtown Plaza this morning, according to Sacramento police.

The man who was stabbed is being treated at a hospital for his injuries, which do not appear life-threatening, said police Sgt. Andrew Pettit. After he is released, he is likely to be arrested in connection with his alleged role in the incident, Pettit said.

Able Elizondo-18.jpgArrested so far in the incident was 18-year-old Able Elizondo, pictured at left. Officers arrested Elizondo on suspicion of felony battery, Pettit said.

Several callers dialed 911 shortly before 10:30 a.m. to report the incident, which began when an 18-year-old man walked into the K Street food court and got into a verbal altercation with two men, one of whom allegedly was Alizondo, Pettit said.

The 18-year-old then walked into the bathroom, and the two men followed him inside. There, the men began beating the 18-year-old, who then pulled out a knife and stabbed one of his attackers in "self defense," Pettit said.

After the fight broke up, all three men left the bathroom. But outside, Elizondo, who was the assailant who was not stabbed, again confronted the initial victim and again began to beat him up, Pettit said.

Mall security officers broke up the fight, and police officers arrived at the scene. Pettit said the 18-year-old who stabbed one of his assailants will not face charges because he appears to have acted in self defense.

Officers arrested Elizondo at the scene, Pettit said. The 23-year-old who was stabbed faces the same charge after he is treated, the sergeant said.

Pettit said the incident appears to be gang-related.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories