Sacto 9-1-1
May 4, 2012
Burglar who posed as sewer worker draws 425-years-to-life sentence

A 50-year-old man who often posed a sewer worker while burglarizing homes was sentenced today to 425 years to life in prison.

A Sacramento County jury convicted Ceasar Fontillas of multiple counts of residential burglary, attempted burglary and one count of receiving stolen property. The court also found that Fontillas had previous convictions for residential burglary and arson, according to a Sacramento County District Attorney's Office news release. He was sentenced by Sacramento Superior Court Judge Steve White.

From Sept. 14, 2009, to March 8, 2010, Fontillas prowled through neighborhoods in the Pocket and Elk Grove areas looking for homes to burglarize, officials said. Once he found a target house, Fontillas knocked on the front door to determine whether anyone was home. If no one answered after a few minutes, he forced the door open and ransacked the home, taking thousands of dollars worth of jewelry and electronics.

In several instances, Fontillas was confronted by homeowners as he attempted to commit or complete a burglary. When that occurred, officials said, he claimed he was a Sacramento Sewer Department employee who had been sent to the residence make to make sure the sewers were working properly.

Fontillas did work as shift supervisor for the Sacramento County Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant, but he had no legitimate reason to be at any of the targeted homes. During this time, officials said, Fontillas sold numerous items that he had stolen to unsuspecting co-workers at the treatment plant.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Get news in your inbox | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

December 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories