Sacto 9-1-1
May 14, 2012
Murder defendant denies involvement in south Sacramento area slaying

One of two suspected gunmen accused of murder in the June 22, 2009, shooting death of Sevon Boles in a south Sacramento area apartment building denied today that he had anything to do with the killing.

Authorities focused on Dominique Givens, 25, as a suspect in the Boles shooting after police in San Francisco arrested him in December 2009 with a gun that traced back to the fatal shooting at the Willow Pointe apartment complex on Sunnyslope Drive.

Under questioning from his attorney, Donald Manning, Givens said he bought the handgun a month before his arrest for $80 from co-defendant London Ramon Shaw, 24. Asked why he didn't tell that to San Francisco police when they arrested him, Givens testified, "You don't want to implicate people."

Sacramento police and prosecutors say that Givens and Shaw shot and killed Boles, 26, during an attempted robbery that involved apparently just a few grams of marijuana.

Shaw also suffered a gunshot wound that authorities say was accidentally inflicted by Givens during the botched robbery. A witness who testified previously in the trial under heavy security said Shaw made the claim about Givens shooting him when he returned to San Francisco after the Boles slaying.

Deputy District Attorney Anthony Ortiz rested his case today, as did Shaw's defense attorney, Russell W. Miller, who put on no witnesses and said he would argue the case based on the prosecution's evidence.

Ortiz had just begun his cross-examination of Givens prior to the lunch break.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Get news in your inbox | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

December 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories