Sacto 9-1-1
October 24, 2012
Update: Names of 3 victims slain in Rancho Cordova released
W0012.JPG
brotherinlaw 2.jpeg
Denis and Alina Bukhantsov, top photo, take a ride in a buggy in West Sacramento during their wedding on April 26, 2008 (Photo by Sacramento wedding photographer Sergey Bidun). Above, a recent photo of Grigoriy Bukhantsov, 19, was provided by a family friend.
By Kim Minugh, Anne Gonzales and Ed Fletcher kminugh@sacbee.com

The Sacramento County Coroner's Office has released the names of the three victims found slain in their Rancho Cordova duplex on Tuesday afternoon.

They are 23-year-old Alina Bukhantsov and her children, 3-year-old Emmanuela and 2-year-old Avenir.

PHOTO GALLERY: Mother, two children slain in Rancho Cordova home

Alina Bukhantsov's brother-in-law, 19-year-old Grigoriy Bukhantsov, is accused in the crime. He was arrested early this morning on suspicion of three counts of murder, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department.

All three of the victims had injuries "consistent with sharp force trauma," said sheriff's Sgt. Jason Ramos. They were found dead in their De Soto Way duplex about 3:30 p.m. by the husband of the woman, who is also the father of the children.

It is his brother who is the suspect in the brutal killings.

"We can't talk about the motive for sure, but we have found there were strained relationships in the family," Ramos said. "What the catalyst may have been for yesterday's horror, we don't know yet."

Grigoriy Bukhantsov was scheduled to be in court on Halloween day to be arraigned on a probation violation, Sacramento Superior Court records show.

He had been on probation since a felony conviction for burglary in December 2011, records show. He was sentenced to a year in jail and five years of probation as a result of his no-contest plea.

The nature of the probation violation was not immediately clear.

According to sources close to the family, Grigoriy Bukhantsov had a history of using hardcore narcotics.

Interviewed by phone today, Pavel Tsymbal, a family friend, said he briefly lived with the suspect after Grigoriy was released from jail on the burglary conviction. He said the living arrangement ended about a month ago.

"I was taking him to church with us, but he didn't want to change. After a month and a half we saw no change in him. It got dangerous having him in the house," said Tsymbal, who declined to go into specifics about the threats.

"I saw him like a week ago, and his eyes looked crazy," Tsymbal said. "His whole look was crazy."

Ramos said the suspect was a transient without an address of record.

"We think he stayed with different people at different times," including possibly the victim's home, he said.

"There was no forced entry, and family members have been talking to us about this guy," Ramos said. "We learned early on there was information that caused us to have an interest in this guy."

A van stolen from the residence was put into a law enforcement alert database, and Rocklin police officers spotted the van parked in a Rocklin Denny's restaurant. They contacted Sacramento deputies, who went into the restaurant about 2 a.m. and found the suspect sleeping in a booth. He surrendered to deputies without incident.

The suspect was taken to the police department for interviewing and booked into the county jail. At this time, he's believed to be the only suspect in the crime.

The bodies of the deceased were removed from the home, but crime lab technicians will be sifting through evidence at the residence throughout the day. The van was towed to be processed for evidence.

He couldn't say if the murder weapon had been recovered, because technicians are still running tests on evidence.

"We are conducting more interviews with family members to shore up our case," Ramos said.

A six-month-old baby boy, found crying and uninjured in a separate room from the bodies, is with family members, Ramos said.Bukhantsov Image.JPG

Photo: Grigoriy Bukhantsov's police booking mug

Related story: Deputies probe 'very violent' scene in Rancho Cordova

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories