Elk Grove police will ramp up shopping center patrols -- with officers on foot, in squad cars and in unmarked vehicles during the holiday season.
Car break-ins, pick-pocketing, robbery and other crime can spike during the season, police said. To stem theft, Elk Grove police presence will increase from Friday through Dec. 24.
Shoppers can also take steps to protect themselves. Officer Chris Trim provides the following safety tips for shoppers:
• Keep packages and other valuables in the car trunk, out of sight.
• Don't carry a lot of cash.
• Pay for purchases with a check or credit card.
• Carry a purse under your arm with the strap across your body.
• Put wallets in the front pants pocket.
• Be aware of surroundings.
• Shop with a friend if going out after dark.
• Park in a well-lit area.
• Look inside your car before entering the vehicle.
• Lock car doors and roll up windows even if inside the store for only a few minutes.