Motorcycle repair is the apparent cause of a fire in Carmichael.
Sac Metro fire crews were alerted to the fire about 4 p.m. Tuesday on Oak Stream Court, where a vehicle was reported on fire in a garage. When crews arrived five minutes later, they attacked the intensifying fire and searched for any trapped residents.
Eventually, the fire spread into the attic and part of the second floor, flames extending from eaves toward the house next door.
"The neighbor watched the fire move close to his house. The eaves are only about six feet apart," said Battalion Chief Mike Daw. "He told me afterward how terrified he was, thinking he was about to lose his home."
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District firefighters extinguished the blaze and prevented spread to the neighboring residence. The fire was determined to be accidental, caused by work being done on a motorcycle in the garage.
What kind of repair was being performed was not specified in a press release. Nobody was injured.