Sacto 9-1-1
December 12, 2012
Child escapes early morning fire traced to space heaters

Fire officials are urging caution when using space heaters after a 6-year-old boy narrowly escaped injury in a fire at his North Highlands home early this morning.

The boy was asleep about 1 a.m. in a room that had been converted from a garage in the 3600 block of McClellan Drive, with heat provided by two electric space heaters plugged into back-to back extension cords. Two adults were inside the house watching TV, unaware that the space heaters had overloaded the extension cords and started a fire, according to a Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District news release.

When the boy's parents returned home, they smelled smoke in the house and found the couch in the room engulfed in flames. The father carried his son to safety while others tried to put out the fire.

Sacramento Metro fire crews arrived to find a smoldering fire with thick black smoke in the converted garage. They removed the smoldering items, extinguished the fire and cleared the smoke from the house.

Officials said the fire was caused by extension cord failure, explaining that the cords were not rated for the load of current required by the space heaters, causing them to overheat and ignite the carpet. The fire then spread to the couch.

The one working smoke alarm in the house was in the hallway near the bedrooms, and the light smoke in the house was not enough to activate it, officials said. No smoke alarms were in or near the converted garage.

Before leaving, firefighters provided the residents with a second smoke alarm.

Fire officials remind people to keep anything that can burn at least three feet from heating equipment and to turn off portable heaters when going to bed. They also stress the importance of using properly rated extension cords, plugging high-energy equipment directly into a wall outlet and making sure there are working smoke alarms near every room where sleeping occurs.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

Arrest Logs

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories