A smoke alarm did the trick on Sunday, alerting a South area family that a fire inside their home was building in intensity.
The fire in a home on the 8400 block of Cassatt Way about 2 p.m. Sunday began in a master bedroom closet. The residents were home but not in the master bedroom when the smoke alarm sounded.
"We always tell people that smoke alarms save lives," said Sac Metro Battalion Chief Rick Griggs. "They really do. This family was actually home with a fire building upstairs, and had no idea until their smoke alarm alerted them to the danger."
The family got out the house and firefighters were summoned. When firefighters arrived, fire had spread in the upstairs bathroom and walk-in closest of the master bedroom.
Firefighters were able to knock down the fire in four minutes, according to fire district press release.
The fire in the home near Calvine Road and Highway 99 started in a light fixture.