Sacto 9-1-1
January 5, 2013
Citrus Heights couple escapes blaze started by unattended fire in fireplace

A Citrus Heights couple awoke early this morning after an unattended fire in their fireplace caused a raging fire in the home's attic.

The couple escaped injury, but half of the Peoria Drive home was damaged in the fire, according to a Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District news release.

The first arriving firefighters were met with 30- to 40-foot flames. It took 24 firefighters to extinguish it.

Metro Fire officials say the fire is a reminder of the dangers of leaving a fire unattended in a fireplace, and want to remind people to never close the damper when there are hot ashes in the fireplace. According to the news release, a closed damper will help the fire heat up again and force carbon monoxide into the home.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.

About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

Arrest Logs

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

March 2016

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    

Monthly Archives

Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter