A Citrus Heights couple awoke early this morning after an unattended fire in their fireplace caused a raging fire in the home's attic.
The couple escaped injury, but half of the Peoria Drive home was damaged in the fire, according to a Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District news release.
The first arriving firefighters were met with 30- to 40-foot flames. It took 24 firefighters to extinguish it.
Metro Fire officials say the fire is a reminder of the dangers of leaving a fire unattended in a fireplace, and want to remind people to never close the damper when there are hot ashes in the fireplace. According to the news release, a closed damper will help the fire heat up again and force carbon monoxide into the home.