Sacto 9-1-1
January 22, 2013
Solano County man convicted of two Davis home burglaries

A Solano County man has been found guilty of burglarizing two Davis homes in July 2011.

A Yolo County jury last week convicted Jimmy Medel, 45, of two counts of residential burglary, according to a Yolo County District Attorney's office news release.

On July 13, 2011, after dropping his wife off at work in Davis, Medel drove around the city and stopped about 8 a.m. at a residence on Stanford Place. Authorities said Medel broke in through the front door and went through the home to the garage.

The resident, a UC Davis student, was on vacation, and while she and her roommates were away, her father was doing repairs on the house. A workman who arrived that morning saw Medel walking out of the garage and loading items into his dark-colored sport-utility vehicle, according to the news release. Medel reportedly left with a large number of tools that had been used in the home repairs and stored in the garage.

The following day, Medel again dropped his wife off for work, then stopped between 8 and 9 a.m. at a residence on Baywood Lane. The residents were on vacation, and Medel went through a gate into the backyard, then broke a window to open the garage door.

Once inside the garage, he entered the house.

Authorities said Medel spent at least an hour ransacking every room of the home and loading his SUV with the residents' property.

A neighbor saw Medel leaving the residence and was able to provide a license plate number and description of the SUV. Police apprehended Medel a short distance from the Baywood Lane home.

During the trial, Medel said he had initially admitted to the burglaries to cover for his son, who committed at least one of the burglaries, according to the news release. The jury, however, found Medel guilty of the two July burglaries, but found him not guilty of committing a similar burglary in March 2011.

After the jury reached its verdict, Yolo Superior Court Judge Stephen Mock found that Medel had been previously convicted of two "strike" offenses for violent crimes and had served a prison term.

Medel is to be sentenced by Judge Mock on Feb. 21.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories