A 12-year-old boy who put into practice the fire safety lessons learned in school is credited with saving his family and assisting firefighters.
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews were dispatched to a structure fire at 11:30 this morning in the 6200 block of Watt Avenue in North Highlands.
While firefighters were en route, the youth, Edward Tapia, got his family safely out of the house.
Edgar and his 11-year-old brother, Miguel, were watching television in the family room while his mother was cooking in the kitchen, according to a fire district news release. Miguel heard a strange noise and noticed that his mother was no longer in the kitchen, which was on fire.
Edgar, who remembered the home exit and fire drills practiced at school, quickly gathered together his brother, mother and family pet, called 911, and got everyone outside.
When firefighters arrived, Edgar informed the captain that everyone was safely out of the house, allowing fire crews to immediately attack the fire, knowing that rescues were not a concern, fire officials said.
Edgar Tapia's work in keeping his family together and making sure they were safe, along with the work of firefighters, saved approximately $60,000 in fire damages, according to fire officials.
The fire is believed to have been caused by unattended food on the stove.