Sacto 9-1-1
February 26, 2013
Elk Grove man found dead after domestic fight, standoff

A 52-year-old Elk Grove man has been found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound following a report of domestic violence and a standoff with police.

Elk Grove police spokesman Officer Christopher Trim said officers were called to a home in the Laguna area about 11:44 a.m. regarding a domestic violence incident involving a husband and wife.

He said an argument between the two led to a physical fight during which the husband reportedly produced a handgun and put it two his wife's head. The couple's teenage son came to his mother's defense, fought with his father and managed to take the handgun away from him, Trim said. The teenager and his mother then fled the house, taking the handgun with them, and called police.

Officers arrived and recovered the handgun, which was loaded, Trim said.

The farther remained inside the house, and police tried unsuccessfully to contact him via cell phone and land line.

Family members indicated that there were other weapons inside the house and that the father was possibly drunk, Trim said.

Officers then summoned SWAT and hostage negotiation teams, which tried to contact the man using various means, again without success. About 4:15 p.m., SWAT officers entered the house and found the man dead on the second floor of the home.

Trim said the wife had visible injuries but did not require medical treatment.

The name of the man has not been released.

Trim said nearby residents were not evacuated but were told to stay inside their homes during the standoff. He said neighborhood residents who had been away from home were not allowed to return to the area until the incident concluded.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

December 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories