Two families were displaced after a cooking fire at a Citrus Heights apartment complex.
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews responded to the 5800 block of Sunrise Vista Drive just before noon today and arrived to find a fire in an upstairs unit. The fire was largely contained to the kitchen area, with some extension into the attic, according to a fire district news release.
The second-floor unit where the fire started sustained the majority of the damage. The exterior of the unit suffered minor fire damage, and the unit below sustained water damage.
No one was injured, but residents of both apartments were displaced due to the damage.
The cause of the fire was determined to be unattended cooking, according to the news release.
Fire officials said cooking is the No. 1 cause of home fires and results in more injuries than any other type of fire. They urge residents to never leave food cooking on the stove unattended. In case of a grease fire, they recommend leaving the pan where it is, turning off the heat and placing a lid on the pan. If unable to get a lid on the pan, use a fire extinguisher or call 911.