An apartment resident awoke to find his kitchen on fire in Arden Arcade this morning, a blaze apparently started when the family left the stove on overnight.
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District engines were called about 5 a.m. to the Emerald Place Apartments, 1530 Fulton Ave., where they quickly knocked down the fire, containing it to the oven, stove, sheetrock and ceiling.
Fire officials said that cookware that probably had some food or food residue was left atop a switched-on electric stove burner overnight.
The resident told firefighters that he awoke to the smell of smoke. He saw the fire and the family of three adults and a baby ran outside.
Sac Metro said the fire could have spread to 19 apartments that share a common attic. Firefighters said there was no working smoke alarm in the apartment.