A Sacramento County man barred from possessing firearms because of prior felony convictions has been arrested after law enforcement officers seized nine firearms, including eight unregistered assault weapons, from his home.
California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris today announced that Britton Edward McFetridge, 37, was taken into custody Tuesday following an "armed and prohibited persons" investigation conducted by agents from the Attorney General's Bureau of Firearms. McFetridge was on probation due to a 2010 conviction for felony battery with serious bodily injury. In addition to the weapons, agents found eight large capacity drum magazines, 100 large capacity magazines and more than 20,000 large caliber rounds of ammunition in the basement of McFetridge's home, according to a news release from the Attorney General's office.
Agents determined that the firearms had been illegally purchased within the last three to five years from private parties and that the magazines were illegally purchased online, officials said.
McFetridge was later arrested at his place of business in Sacramento and booked into Sacramento County Jail on suspicion of being a felon in possession of a firearm, possession of unregistered assault weapons, a felon in possession of ammunition and large capacity magazines, and violation of probation.
State Department of Justice spokeswoman Michelle Gregory said McFetridge has been released on $90,000 bail. He is to appear in Sacramento Superior Court on Wednesday.
Officials said the armed and prohibited persons database cross-references five databases to find people who legally purchased handguns and registered assault weapons since 1996 with people who are prohibited from owning or possessing firearms. California is the only state in the nation that has established an automated system for tracking handgun and assault weapon owners who might fall into the prohibited status, according the news release.
Photo courtesy Calfironia Attorney General's Office