Sacto 9-1-1
July 15, 2013
Driver who killed 6-year-old boy sentenced to 15 years in prison

IMG009.jpgAn Orangevale woman who pleaded no contest to gross vehicular manslaughter while driving intoxicated in the traffic death of a 6-year-old boy last year in Citrus Heights was sentenced today to 15 years in state prison.

Tresa Bales-Sterba apologized to the family of Henry Perez-Rocha, who was struck in the crosswalk at Greenback Lane and Mariposa Avenue while walking to school. But Sacramento Superior Court Judge Laurel D. White said she would still impose the maximum term "to convey to others that there are consequences for bad judgment as illustrated in this case."

Bales-Sterba, 53, was under the influence of methamphetamine and an assortment of other drugs when she ran a red light on westbound Greenback last Oct. 5, was struck in the intersection by a southbound vehicle on Mariposa and then spun into the intersection and struck Henry and his older brother.

IMG012.jpgHenry Perez-Rocha died three months later.

Defense lawyer Jeffrey E. Thoma asked the judge to sentence his client to an 11-year term, but Deputy District Attorney Kimberly Macy said that Bales-Sterba qualified for the maximum. The prosecutor said that 10 days before the fatal accident, Bales-Sterba had been pulled over by Citrus Heights police and warned after a firefighter reported that she had been weaving in traffic.

Bales-Sterba told police she had a medical condition that led to her driving difficulties, and she was able to pass her field sobriety tests, according to her probation report. But the incident put Bales-Sterba on notice that she shouldn't be driving, Macy said.

Jose Perez, the father of the boy who was killed, said after the sentencing, "We are not satisfied," by the 15-year sentence, "but the good thing is that at least justice was served."

PHOTO CREDIT: Henry Perez-Rocha's aunts, Odilia Rocha, left, and Rosalinda Rocha stand outside the courtroom. Andy Furillo, Sacramento Bee

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

Arrest Logs

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories