Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District units were dispatched shortly after 3 p.m. to a reported structure fire in the 3100 block of Edison Avenue. They found a garage fire that was threatening the home and anther property, according to a fire district news release.
About 25 firefighters responded and brought the fire under control within about 15 minutes.
On investigation, it was determined that the fire was caused by a candle left unattended by a juvenile living at the residence, fire officials said. When the boy became aware of the fire, he tried to extinguish it, but it was spreading too rapidly and a call was placed to 911.
No injuries were reported, and damage to the house was minimal. Fire officials said loss was confined largely to the garage and its contents.
Fire officials cited National Fire Protection Association statistics that candles were the heat source in an estimated average of 11,640 reported home fires annually from 2006 to 2010. These fires caused an average of 126 civilian deaths, 953 civilian injuries and $438 million in direct property damage per year. Roughly one-third of the home candle fires started in the bedroom.
Candles used for light in the absence of electrical power appear to pose a particular risk of a fatal fire, officials said.
Photo courtesy Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District