Sacto 9-1-1
August 5, 2013
Ask Sacto 911 crime Q&A: What happened to man who killed girls with claw hammer in 1980s?

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues.

QUESTION: What ever happened in the case of a young man who worked at a computer store in Fair Oaks about 25 or so years ago who, I believe, was found guilty of using a claw hammer on two teenage girls at his Citrus Heights duplex?
Submitted by: Bo, Fair Oaks

ANSWER: Alan Edward Rice was sentenced to life in prison without parole for the claw-hammer slayings of 12-year-old Angelique Diamond and 14-year-old Laraine Roberts on April 16, 1986.

He pleaded guilty to the killings in exchange for a promise that he would not receive the death penalty. Now 56 years old, Rice is at the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison in Corcoran.

According to stories in The Bee, Rice, a 28-year-old consultant at a computer store on Madison Avenue, met the two girls as they were hitchhiking earlier in the day. After giving one of them a business card with his name on it, Rice took them to his duplex on Bonham Circle in Citrus Heights.

About 10:55 p.m., a neighbor heard a woman screaming for help and called 911.

Sacramento County sheriff's deputies found Diamond dead in the back seat of a car parked in the garage. Roberts was alongside the car, within a few feet of the claw hammer that was used as a weapon. She died in a helicopter on the way to a hospital.

Deputies discovered Rice in the attic of the duplex, and it took them more than an hour to coax him out. Authorities said more than 70 hypodermic needles and syringes were found in the house.

Rice told investigators that he had used cocaine and methamphetamine for a period of 36 hours before the crime, during which he did not sleep. He said the beatings occurred after something "snapped mentally" during a cocaine party with the girls at his residence.

Have a Sacto 911 question? Submit it here.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Get news in your inbox | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

December 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories