A Sacramento street gang member was sentenced today to life in prison without parole for the drive-by shooting death of a teenager three years ago near Encina High School.
Luis Prudente, 20, received the term from Superior Court Judge Marjorie Koller for the 2 a.m. Nov. 27, 2010, shotgun killing of Jesse Dean Jones, 15, at the corner of Clinton Road and Wittkop Way.
Prudente was denied a chance for a parole hearing based on the special-circumstance allegations of carrying out a gang-related drive-by shooting.
Koller gave Prudente an additonal 42 years and eight months to life for his conviction on a second count of shooting and injuring Jones' girlfriend, with added time for use of the firearm and for inflicting great bodily injury.
The shooting took place during an ongoing gang war in the Howe Park area, authorities said.
Prudente also had been charged with murder in the Oct. 23, 2009, hit-and-run death of Julian Juan Dearcos, 35, but prosecutors announced in court today they decided to not retry the case, court officials said.