On Aug. 9, a resident of Manorside Drive reported seeing a young kitten walking down the street in the area of Manorside and Meadowglen Avenue. The witness noticed the kitten because it appeared to be following a person who was walking down the street, according to a Sacramento Animal Care Services news release.
The following day, the same resident found the kitten in his driveway. Officials said it appeared to have been burned and the resident reported a strong smell of gasoline on the animal.
The resident, not knowing what to do, called his boss for advice and was urged to take the animal to a veterinarian.
The injured kitten (pictured) was taken to an area veterinary hospital for treatment. The man paid for the services and took the kitten back home.
When the kitten's condition did not appear to improve after a few days, the man took it to the Front Street Animal Shelter.
The shelter's veterinarian, Laura Warner, examined the animal, which appeared to have severe burns to the hind quarter, ears and other parts of the body. Although it had been bathed at the veterinary hospital, shelter staff members reported that the smell of fuel was still detectable.
The kitten is a male about 4 months old. Despite the severity of the injuries, the prognosis for recovery is good, according to Animal Care Services officials. The worst injury is to the animal's hind quarter.
Shelter personnel have named the kitten Phoenix.
Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call Dan Torres, chief animal control officer, at (916) 808-5855 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Witnesses may remain anonymous.