Sacto 9-1-1
September 10, 2013
Sacramento DA drops case against kidnapping suspect; charges expected in Conn.

Nathan Salas mugshot.jpgThe Sacramento County District Attorney's office has dismissed charges against a Merced man who allegedly brought a 14-year-old teen to California without her parents' permission, thereby allowing Connecticut authorities to file charges there, authorities said today.

The Connecticut State's Attorney is expected to immediately proceed with charges of kidnapping and creating a risk-of-injury to minor against 27-year-old Nathan Salas, according to a news release from the Sacramento County District Attorney's office.

The case will proceed in Connecticut because it is where the criminal conduct originated and where the victim and the majority of witnesses live, the release states.

According to the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, Salas met the 14-year-old victim online and cultivated a relationship. He then flew to Connecticut to get her, and flew back to California with her and without the knowledge of her parents, who reported her missing, the Sheriff's Department said.

Salas was arrested last month when he and the girl arrived at Sacramento International Airport. He remains in custody in Sacramento County until he is extradited, according to Main Jail booking records.

Salas faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted of the expected charges, according to the DA's press release.

The victim has since returned home to Connecticut.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories