Fire officials credited a smoke detector with alerting a couple in time to escape a rapidly spreading fire at their Rancho Cordova home Monday night.
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews responded just before 10 p.m. to a report of a structure fire on Beclan Drive. They arrived to find a couple, senior citizens, outside the home where the fire was rapidly growing in a bedroom. After making sure that everyone was safely out of the house, fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading through the house, according to a Fire District news release.
Had it not been for working smoke detectors, fire officials said, the couple might not have been alerted to the fire in time to safely leave the house. Early detection was especially crucial in this case because the woman is not ambulatory and relies on a wheelchair to get around. It took her husband extra time to help her out of the burning residence, fire officials said.
They cited National Fire Protection Association findings that nearly two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in residences without smoke detectors or with nonfunctioning smoke detectors.
The fire is thought to have been caused by an overheated extension cord. Fire officials remind residents to use a licensed electrician for all electrical work.