Sacto 9-1-1
October 7, 2013
West Sacramento man convicted in wire theft that halted trains

A West Sacramento man has been convicted in a wire theft incident that halted train traffic between California and Nebraska.

A Yolo County jury last week found 31-year-old Jason Stark guilty of felony vandalism, felony petty theft with prior convictions and possession of narcotics paraphernalia, according to a District Attorney's Office news release.

Authorities said that on June 25, the Union Pacific Railroad controller in Omaha, Neb., received a signal alert to a problem on the tracks in West Sacramento. The controller immediately dispatched a signalman, who arrived at the location within 20 minutes. The signalman saw Stark shove railroad signal cables that he had cut up into his backpack, then ride off on his bicycle down Sacramento Avenue.

The signalman called West Sacramento police, who intercepted Stark minutes later. Stark was found in possession of the wire cables, a knife to cut them and narcotics paraphernalia.

Although the value of the wire was insignificant, authorities said, the theft resulted in considerable cost to the public and the railroad. When the alarm was sounded regarding a problem on the railroad track, train traffic on the entire rail line from California to Nebraska was halted until the source of the problem that triggered the alarm could be determined.

Stark had previously been convicted of three separate crimes involving theft and, consequently, is subject to enhanced punishments, according to the District Attorney's Office.

Stark is to be sentenced Oct. 18 before Yolo Superior Court Judge Janet Gaard.

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from sacbee.com. While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on sacbee.com and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Watch Bee news, lifestyle videos | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories