Sacto 9-1-1

By Andy Furillo
afurillo@sacbee.com

A mentally disturbed woman who drowned her 3-year-old daughter two years ago was sentenced today to a possible life-time placement in Napa State Hospital.

Sacramento Superior Court Judge Marjorie Koller said that if doctors at the psychiatric facility ever find that Anul Malik Ram regains her sanity, the 34-year-old defendant will then be transferred to the state prison system to complete a 15-to-life term.

The dual sentences resulted from Ram's April 29 guilty plea to second-degree murder in the Nov. 15, 2009, drowning death of her daughter, Divya Ram, in the defendant's bathtub. Along with the guilty plea to the second-degree murder charge, Ram also claimed that she was not guilty by reason of insanity in the attempted murder of her then-7-year-old son.

At the time of the killing, Ram had been taking a variety of medications for schizophrenia, depression, anxiety and seizures.

Two Grass Valley residents have been arrested after Nevada County sheriff's deputies responded early this morning to a report of a seriously injured man.

Deputies, who were called to the 13000 block of Ballantree Lane in the Grass Valley area at 3:36 a.m., suspected foul play and began an investigation involving the major crimes unit, according to a Sheriff's Department news release.

The victim was taken to Sutter Roseville Medical Center via air ambulance and is listed in critical condition, sheriff's officials said. The man's identity has not been released.

J.Dalton.jpgThe murder trial of Jennifer Dalton - accused of killing her ex-husband in 2009 - is underway after attorneys gave their opening statements this morning.

Dalton faces a murder charge in the July 2009 shooting death of Craig Dalton, 39, at Jennifer Dalton's Elk Grove home.

Before Sacramento Superior Court Judge Timothy M. Frawley, Deputy District Attorney Chris Ore argued in his opening statements that Jennifer Dalton, angry over a failed marriage and financial woes, had been planning the shooting for months.

Fred Nelson.jpgBy Sam Stanton and Bill Lindelof
sstanton@sacbee.com

Sacramento police have arrested a man for a probation violation unrelated to comments he made to Mayor Kevin Johnson at a downtown restaurant that his security officer deemed as a possible threat.

Police said Fred Roger Nelson, Jr., 43, approached the mayor at The Grange restaurant in the 900 block of J Street this morning and told him "he would not be in office within a couple of hours," police Sgt. Norm Leong said.

Police said he was not armed when he made the comment. The mayor's security detail took immediate action, police said, because of what was considered a threat to Johnson's safety.

By Kim Minugh
kminugh@sacbee.com

A Sacramento police officer was rendered unconscious Friday afternoon after a suspect punched him in the face, according to authorities.

A second officer was able to take the suspect into custody after the knockout punch. That officer suffered an injury to his foot, which might have been broken, said police spokesman Sgt. Norm Leong.

The incident began when officers, responding to a 911 hang-up call, went to a home on the 2200 block of Florin Road shortly after 4:30 p.m., according to a police summary.

By Cathy Locke
clocke@sacbee.com

A jury has convicted a Sacramento man with a history of domestic violence of sexually assaulting and beating the mother of his children.

District Attorney Jan Scully announced today that Alan McCoy, 43, was convicted of rape, forcible oral copulation, burglary, corporal injury on the mother of his children, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon and violation of a restraining order.

McCoy and the victim had four children together, but were never married, according to a District Attorney's Office news release. Officials said McCoy abused the victim over many years. He was convicted of felony domestic violence for punching the victim in the face in front of two of his daughters, and in 2008, he was convicted again for violating a protective order.

By Chelsea Phua and Bill Lindelof
cphua@sacbee.com

The name of a 48-year-old man who died Wednesday night after scuffling with officers has been released by the Sacramento County Coroners Department.

He was identified as Freddie Lewis Allen, 48, of Sacramento. The coroner's website lists his death as undetermined.

About 6 p.m., a woman reported that her boyfriend had assaulted her, said Sgt. Norm Leong, police spokesman. The telephone call to police indicated that the woman had been punched by her boyfriend.

Officers responded to an apartment in the 400 block of Harding Avenue in the Gardenland neighborhood. When they arrived, the woman was outside the apartment. She had been able to flee the apartment with her 6-year-old son and call police.

Officers were told that the woman and the boyfriend had recently separated. The woman had previously obtained a restraining order.

The woman told police that her boyfriend kicked in the door of her residence and repeatedly punched her.

The woman told police that she believed he was under the influence of drugs. Eventually, after striking the woman several times, the man passed out.

That's how officers found him when they entered the dwelling. When they attempted to handcuff him, he suddenly awakened and began fighting with officers, Leong said.

During the scuffle, he stopped breathing, prompting officers to begin administering CPR.

Sacramento Fire Department personnel responded and transported him to the hospital where he died. Officers did not use a Taser, Leong said.

On Wednesday night, about a dozen of the dead man's friends gathered across from the apartment. They held a brief prayer vigil for Allen, nicknamed "Freddie the Fader" for the way he trimmed the hair of young men in the neighborhood.

"He would do the boys' hair just right outside his apartment," said Michelle Magana, 26, pointing towards the row of apartments on Harding Avenue near American Avenue.

Magana's brother, Marc Manuel, 33, said he had known the dead man for 15 years. Manuel said that Freddie had been staying with him for a few days because Allen's girlfriend didn't allow him back to the apartment they once shared.

Allen returned Wednesday to try to patch things up with her, Manuel said.

Call The Bee's Chelsea Phua, (916) 321-1132.

Bennett.JPGBy Cathy Locke
clocke@sacbee.com

An Auburn man described by a Placer County judge as a "danger to women" has been sentenced to seven years in state prison for domestic violence.

Thomas K. Bennett, 61, was sentenced Friday by Placer County Superior Court Judge Mark S. Curry. The judge noted that Bennett's record showed a history of criminal convictions for domestic violence, according to a Placer County District Attorney's Office news release.

Bennett's latest conviction came in October when a jury found him guilty of inflicting corporal injury upon a cohabitant and of assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury, both of which are felonies.

Evidence during the trial showed that Bennett beat and choked a cohabitant during an argument at an Auburn apartment March 24 and that he put his hand over the woman's mouth as if to suffocate her.

Judge Curry noted that Bennett had admitted to special allegations that he previously had been convicted and served prison terms for domestic violence, meaning the judge could add extra years in prison for Bennett's latest conviction.

Call The Bee's Cathy Locke, (916) 321-5287.

By Cynthia Hubert
chubert@sacbee.com

A Sacramento Superior Court jury has found Joe McCoy guilty of charges that could send him to state prison for the rest of his life for inflicting injuries that left his former girlfriend a quadriplegic.

Jurors found McCoy, 51, guilty of felony torture, spousal abuse and penetration with a foreign object, plus "enhancements" to those crimes that will lengthen his sentence. The charges carry a potential penalty of 25 years to life in prison.

The jury was unable to reach a verdict on a charge of attempted murder.

The victim, who The Bee is identifying as Jane Doe, testified during trial that McCoy threw her to the ground in a fit of rage in the apartment they shared in September 2009, then bent her legs over her back, snapping her neck and leaving her permanently paralyzed from the chest down. She said he continued to beat her and sexually abuse her throughout the night, refusing to call an ambulance until she agreed to make up a story the next day about how she got hurt.

The woman, 50, said McCoy had abused her "four or five" times prior to the injury that caused her paralysis. The mother of two and longtime employee of Rite Aid Pharmacies now lives in a care home.

Deputy District Attorney Ruanne Dozier said she was pleased with the jury's work.

"This was one of the most horrific cases I have ever come across," the veteran domestic abuse prosecutor said. "They did the right thing."

Call The Bee's Cynthia Hubert, (916) 321-1082.

By Cathy Locke
clocke@sacbee.com

A man accused of putting a knife to his girlfriend's neck and raping her in front of her 2-year-old child has been convicted by a Sacramento Superior Court jury.

Vernon Medler, 20, today was found guilty of two counts of rape, domestic violence, criminal threats, false imprisonment and child endangerment.

Medler and the victim were boyfriend and girlfriend, and got into and argument after Medler found a Valentine's day card that was sent to the victim by an ex-boyfriend, according to a Sacramento County District Attorney's Office news release.

Believing that the relationship was going to end, Medler raped the victim while her family was in the home, telling her that if she screamed he would kill her and her family, officials said. The victim did not immediately tell her family about the rape because she feared for her safety and theirs.

Less than 24 hours after the first rape, Medler raped the victim a second time, putting a knife to her neck and saying he would kill her. These acts were committed in front of her child.

After the second incident, the victim told her mother about the rapes and law enforcement officials were notified.

"Rape is an illegal under any circumstance, even if a victim is in a relationship with the attacker at the time of the crime," Deputy District Attorney Carlton Davis said in a written statement. "I commend this victim for not remaining silent and thank the district attorney victim advocates for their hard work in these cases."

Call The Bee's Cathy Locke, (916) 321-5287.

By Bee Staff

A Sacramento man already facing domestic violence charges added to his courthouse resume after he allegedly almost hit a Sacramento County sheriff deputy's car and then fled., according to a crime summary released this week.

Andreas Diaz, 30, is in the Sacramento jail as of this morning on a variety of charges including obstructing a peace officer, DUI, hit-and-run causing property damage, and driving with a suspended or revoked driver's license, jail records show.

Diaz already was facing charges of battery against a person he had a previous dating relationship with, corporal injury to a spouse or co-habitant and violating a restraining order, jail and court records show.

Between 2006 and 2008, Diaz pleaded no contest to battery on a spouse or co-habitant, DUI and assault with a deadly weapon, court records show.

The crime summary described the latest incident to land Diaz in jail as follows:

Just after midnight on Aug. 19 at Lang and 47th avenues, a deputy was helping a civilian look for his vehicle, when a vehicle almost hit the deputy's patrol car.

The vehicle sped away at a high speed with the deputy in pursuit.

After a short chase, the driver jumped from his moving vehicle and ran off on foot. The car continued rolling and hit a tree.

Deputies found the suspect hiding in a garbage can, according to the summary.

Diaz suffered a foot injury and was treated at a hospital before being booked into jail, the summary states.

By Kim Minugh
kminugh@sacbee.com

The District Attorney's office has asked for more time to decide whether to file domestic violence charges against former Sacramento Kings player Matt Barnes.

Barnes, a Del Campo High graduate who now plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, appeared for his scheduled arraignment Monday, but no charges had been filed, according to authorities.

Instead, prosecutors asked for more time to investigate the Sept. 8 incident, in which Sacramento County sheriff's deputies responded to a Fair Oaks home after a 911 hang up. They found Barnes and his fiancée, Gloria Govan, with visible injuries, according to sheriff's officials.

Deputies determined Barnes to be the primary aggressor and arrested him on suspicion of domestic violence and destructing a telephone line.

After the incident, both Barnes and Govan denied any abuse took place.

Barnes is scheduled to return to court Oct. 18, at which point the DA's office will announce whether charges will be filed.

His attorney, Tom Johnson, applauded the DA's office for not moving forward with charges this week. "We are confident the decision they will ultimately reach is that while there was an argument and some discord, nothing criminal occurred," he said.

Call The Bee's Kim Minugh, (916) 321-1038.



About Sacto 9-1-1

Sacto 9-1-1 is a blog on crime and emergency services news in the Sacramento region.

Send feedback on Sacto 9-1-1 to Assistant Metro Editor Anthony Sorci at asorci@sacbee.com

Subscribe to Breaking News Alerts

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Get news in your inbox | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying

Sacto 9-1-1 Q&A

Bee reporters answer questions about area crime news, trends and other issues. QUESTION: A couple of years ago, a Sacramento tax attorney named Roni Deutch was the target of an investigation by the California Department of Justice. She was accused of bilking clients out of millions and defying a court (Read More)

More Questions and Answers
See all the crime Q&As
Submit your question

December 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

Monthly Archives


Kim Minugh on Twitter

Follow "Kim_Minugh" on Twitter

Local Agencies on Twitter

Categories