The extent of La Bonne Soupe's cockroach conundrum has been illuminated by a Sacramento County inspection report.
The popular soup and sandwich lunch spot, which claimed the No. 1 spot for "best food" in a Sacramento Zagat Survey earlier this year, was closed Wednesday by county environmental health officials after a county environmental health inspector found a cockroach infestation during a routine check.
Owner Daniel Pont has not returned multiple calls for comment.
The inspection report, which is public record, lists the following violations:
• One live cockroach on the floor below the hand sink.
• One live cockroach with an attached egg casing on the shelf below the register, next to paper bags used for to-go orders.
• One dying cockroach on the shelf below the register.
• One dead cockroach in a glass on the shelf above the hand sink.
• About 15 dead cockroaches on the floor below the hand sink.
• Several cockroaches adhered to sticky pads on the floor below shelves, which were underneath the register.
The county inspector also noted a minor violation related to handwashing after seeing the owner "making sandwiches, answer telephone and then resume making sandwiches without washing hands in between tasks."