That's right, it's Mangalitsa week here on "Appetizers." To get some more information on the Mangalitsa pig, a prized swine with chefs ranging from The Kitchen to the French Laundry, check out my Food & Wine cover story on the Mangalitsa pig.
For you budding pastry chefs and gourmet home cooks out there, here's a recipe from Randall Selland of The Kitchen which includes bacon ice cream. I know, the idea of bacon in ice cream might sound just kind of wrong at first glance. But trust me, little bits of prized Mangalitsa bacon turns regular ol' vanilla ice cream into a mix of savory, sweet and salty flavors that will make your taste buds do backflips.
Here's the recipe:
Delta Blueberry Pot Pie with Creamed Vanilla and Caramel-Bacon Ice Cream
2 cups (about 1 pint) blueberries, picked over
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Crush up Â¼ of the blueberries and mix in a bowl with the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Pour mixture into bottom pie shell and dot with butter.
- Cover with another piece of pie dough and seal edges with water. Cut a couple slits in the top to let steam escape.
- Bake @ 325 F for 20-25 minutes until top crust is golden brown. Set aside and let cool
- Carefully try and release potpie from mold and place on tray to reheat.
- Bake @ 325 for 5 minutes to reheat
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon flour
Â½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups heavy cream
Â½ cup sugar
2 vanilla beans, split and scraped, or
2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
- Melt butter in a sauce pot and add flour and cinnamon while stirring continuously until mixture is smooth
- Pour in cream, vanilla, and sugar and stir until mixture comes back to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and let mixture simmer fro 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until mixture reduces and thickens.
- Carefully strain mixture through a sieve and chill until cold.
1 pint sliced almonds
Â½ cup powdered sugar
Oil for frying
- Boil almonds for 3-5 minutes until soft, drain off water and mix almonds in a bowl with powdered sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set aside and let sit while oil heats to 350 F
- Carefully spoon half of the almonds into the oil and fry until the oil comes back to 350 F for 1 minute or until the almonds are a nice golden brown/amber color.
- Remove almonds from oil to a rack and sprinkle with sea salt while still hot
Bacon Ice Cream
4 cups Heavy Cream
2 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
10 egg yolks
5 cups milk
10 strips Bacon, thinly sliced and sauteed until crispy
- Put cream, sugar, and vanilla in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Slowly pour a small amount of hot cream mixture over the egg yolks while whisking continuously
- Pour yolk and cream mixture back into the pot and simmer over medium low heat until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain into a separate container to chill until cold
- Mix in the milk and turn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions.
- Once ice cream is soft set, add in the bacon and freeze until firm