It's the beer that has some folks waiting in line starting at 3 a.m. We're talking about Pliny the Younger, the limited edition triple IPA from Russian River Brewing Co. of Santa Rosa that's so coveted in the craft beer world that it's attained cult status. Just in time for Sacramento Beer Week, locals will have a chance to sample some Pliny the Younger.
Word has it that only eight kegs of Pliny the Younger will be made available in Sacramento. The trick is that most brew pubs don't want to advertise that they're tapping a keg of Pliny the Younger. They're simply trying to avoid much of the commotion that surrounds this brew. But fear not, here are some spots that are happy to let you know that Pliny the Younger will be available for tasting. Note: this isn't a definitive list and we'll add more spots as they become known.
* Streets of London Pub (1804 J St., Sacramento) will be pouring Pliny the Younger at 5:30 p.m. Saturday. However, to reserve your taste, a ticketing system will begin at 4 p.m. They'll keep pouring until that keg is tapped.
* Burgers & Brew (1409 R St., Sacramento) will have Pliny the Younger available on Sunday at 2 p.m. It'll be available in conjunction with such sought after beers as Black Butte XXIV, GF Le Freak and Pliny the Elder. $3 for a 10 ounce pour, and available on a first come first served basis. Look for the Davis location of Burgers & Brew to announce soon when they'll have their batch of Pliny the Younger.
* World Pub (3021 Grass Valley Highway, Auburn) will offer their allotment of Pliny the Younger on March 3 (the last day of Sacramento Beer Week) at 5 p.m. $6 for a 9 ounce pour.
* Samuel Horne's Tavern (719 Sutter St, Folsom) will offer Pliny the Younger as part of a four-beer flight during their "hop rodeo" event on March 2. The flight costs $10 and each pour is 7 ounces.
* Flaming Grill Cafe (2319 El Camino Ave., Sacramento) will be carrying Pliny the Younger at some point during Sacramento Beer Week, but its owners won't say when exactly. They say to keep checking their Facebook page and web page for a surprise announcement.
FROM THE BEE