In Wednesday's story about a possible norovirus outbreak at Mulvaney's B&L, a county public official noted that one norovirus outbreak had been confirmed for a local restaurant in 2012. Dr. Olivia Kasirye, county public health officer, initially declined to name the establishment. After a follow-up request from The Bee, Kasirye provided the information.
It turns out the outbreak didn't occur at a restaurant, but Sacramento Elks Lodge No. 6 on Riverside Boulevard near Florin Road. The lodge hosted an event in September of 2012 in which dozens of people were sickened. The lodge did not use an outside caterer, but provided food service themselves, said Kasirye. A county investigation interviewed 93 individuals, and confirmed 57 illnesses due to norovirus.
To report a possible incident of foodborne illness, call the Sacramento County Department of Health and Human Services: (916) 875-5881
FROM THE BEE: